Spring cleaning! It’s not a tradition from a bygone era; according to the American Cleaning Institute®, 72% of U.S. households continue to engage in spring cleaning of some kind. In addition to specialty cleaning, like ceiling fans and window-washing, it’s the time to rid yourself of items you no longer use and do not anticipate ever using. Let’s face it: Even if you have a maid and a household cleaning staff, no one can do your spring cleaning for you. No one else knows the value of what’s in your closets, basement, and attic.
You may have items that would mean much more to others.
As you go about reorganizing your living spaces, here are some items that are tax-deductible when donated to a Greater Chicago charity:
- CDs, DVDs – With online movie/music streaming, it’s time to box up those you never use and drop them off at a donation site.
- Clothing – It’s been three years and you still haven’t dieted down to the size 10s that take up much of your closet. Donate them. Your reward will be the shopping spree for new clothes.
- Dishes – Take everything out of your kitchen cabinets and place in boxes. As you use dishes, return them to the cabinets. After one month, if you have more in your boxes than in your cabinets, it’s time to donate some dishes.
- Shoes – If you need closet space, start with the floor and donate the shoes you never wear to someone who needs them.o
Other items you can donate to others and receive a tax credit for your generosity include:
- Craft supplies
- Home improvement supplies
- Interior décor
- Stuffed animals
- Technology items
Donating to Maot Chithim with Amazon Smile!
We don’t accept donations of clothing or other household items, but we are in touch with local organizations that do, so contact us for additional information. One of the ways you can donate to Maot Chitim is when you shop Amazon Smile; a portion – .05% – of your purchase price can be designated to Maot Chitim! This is a win/win!